Well... this sucks. Only had about 3 good hours today.
Yesterday I had an 8:30 meeting for work. It was also Isabelle's day at preschool. So I buckled her into the car seat and headed out for Oak Ridge. I made it about 3/4 of the way there before I started to get uncomfortable, and by the time I dropped Isabelle off at school I felt awful.
Went to my meeting & informed them that I was going to be out of commission for a few weeks - they thought it was better to slow down our working group formation until I was able to devote full energy to it, which I suppose was inevitable but it's another disappointment.
By the time I got to the office around 9:15 I was out of gas. I signed a few forms, transferred some money around, and then had to get out of the office and back home where I can lie down.
The rest of the day yesterday (except for the trip to radiation) was spent lying around or sitting in a bath. The psychological impact of suddenly being rendered useless is leaving me rather morose.
On a positive note, the radiation therapists appreciated both yesterday's "Red Shirt Pirate Joke" and today's joke about the teacher who asks her class to go home and ask their parents for a story with a moral. They also appreciated the Krispy Kreme donuts.
On an even more positive note, Elizabeth made some awesome lamb chops for dinner with some sort of crazy balsamic reduction. Mmmmm mmmmm! Elena watched Isabelle & Evelyn while Elizabeth and Jackson went to Cub Scouts, so to that extent life goes on.
I'm hoping I can make it to work tomorrow. I think if I get up around 6am, I should be able to get "settled" enough to be in reasonably good condition for the drive to Oak Ridge. I've GOT to put some time in at the office, and Isabelle needs to go to preschool. Not sure how many hours I'll be able to work, but I can make a go of it and I refused to be reduced completely to a sad lump of cancerous flesh.
Sad Lump of Cancerous Flesh would be an awesome name for a rock band.
Oh yeah, on Tuesday I was proscribed TWO NEW OINTMENTS! Now, between the ointments for my hands & feet (to prevent one of the nastier side effects of chemo) there are various ointments for the external tissue that is being irradiated. So this prompts the question: is there really a difference between a balm, an ointment, a salve, and a cream? And what about a cobbler and a pie?
Jackson wrote a great song the other day (while I was trying to explain to the kids how to play Dungeons & Dragons):
What's a geek, what's a nerd?
What's a geek, what's a nerd?
What's a geek, what's a nerd?
They're the same thing
(repeats)
That boy is talented!
Uh oh... there's that rumbling in my guts that tells me it's going to be agony time in about 2 minutes. Oh well... signing off...
No comments:
Post a Comment