Monday, February 24, 2014

Diagnosis +40, Treatment Day 9

I've noticed that my blog articles are fairly plain, so in this article, I'm going to use uncalled-for  formatting.

So, there is an awful lot of talk about people "fighting" cancer.  Much more than I've heard for any other disease.  And yet, from my perspective here at the start of this thing, there's not a whole lot of fighting going on, at least for me.

Oh, my wife is fighting; everyday she has more to do with less help from me.  And my family are fighting.  They're babysitting kids all the time, not only to allow Elizabeth to go to appointments with me, but to give us some time together (and without the kids).

I would say the Doctors & nurses & therapists are fighting - they're actually running the machines, performing the tests, doing the analysis.  And putting up with me: that's a battle, and one against overwhelming odds.

And the scientists and engineers that have studied cancer and created drugs and astonishing machines - they have done a lot of fighting.

And the patients before me who have subjected themselves to clinical trials - they were fighting.

And my colleagues back in the office are fighting - other people are pulling my weight at work (as if this has not been happening for a long time - let's be realistic here).

And the people who have to park in the space next to my truck.  That's a fight.

Me?  I'm pretty much just laying there while other people zap me with radiation and take my blood and tell me what to do.  Yeah, I'm nauseated a lot, in a fair amount of discomfort and occasional pain, am fatigued and generally feel bad.  But that's not being a fighter - that's being a battleground that other people are fighting on.

Maybe the fight comes later - maybe that's when it takes will and effort just to get up in the morning, or to stay hopeful and positive.

But so far, I would say that the real fighters are people who fight addiction, or obesity, or other diseases in which every single day requires steadfast resistance and will.

 And Now, An Excursion From The Topic:


On an unrelated note, what is the deal with the NFL and breast cancer awareness?  How did that become an NFL thing?  Shouldn't the NFL be having prostate awareness, or generalized cancer awareness instead?  Shouldn't breast cancer awareness be a figure-skating thing?

I mean, I'm not like a fan of breast cancer or anything, but pretty much everybody already likes breasts.  The poor prostates and colons are generally ignored, except when they're being actively disliked.

How about for one whole month, all the NFL teams go by the name "Browns," in honor not only of legendary coach Paul Brown, but of colon cancer awareness.  The college football teams can do the same thing.  For one month, in honor of rectal cancer, all teams can go by the name "Buckeyes." 

While researching this topic, I came across this astonishing list of "awareness ribbon" colors.  Sweet Nancy!  A "Choking Game Awareness" ribbon?  What has become of us as a culture?  Wait.  Don't answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment