Monday, March 3, 2014

Diagnosis +47, Treatment Day 14

Most of what I could potentially write about recently is unpleasant and embarrassing, so I haven't written about it.  Chemo hasn't been bad.  But the radiation therapy is causing the tissue around the tumor to be swollen and sore, and the consequences of that have been both painful and have made life logistically more difficult.  A repercussion of this has been that I've had a harder time sleeping or have been waking up in the middle of the night, which has meant sleeping later in the morning, which has resulted in more complications (getting to work, getting Isabelle to preschool, etc.).

This past weekend was particularly bad.  Fortunately, Saturday night was a brief respite, which allowed me to go to the Mardi Gras celebration with Elizabeth.  This is the 6th anniversary of when I tricked her into going on a date with me.  While I wasn't drinking (and thus wasn't great company), and I was nervous about what I was eating (given the discussion above), it was wonderful to see Elizabeth get a chance to unwind.  She had a great time getting all fancied-up, dancing & hanging out with friends and not talking about cancer at all.

Sunday I made the momentous decision to go to Taco Bell for lunch.  Call it hubris or bravado, tempting fate, or laughing in the face of overwhelming odds.  Or call it a mistake.  In any case, Sunday evening could have been a lot better.  I think I got to sleep around 5:30 am, just when Elizabeth's alarm started going off.  When I woke up later in the day, the kids were home from school (due to ice), Elizabeth's mom was there watching them so that she could go into work, and I was, of course,  going to be late for work.

Which wasn't going to happen anyway.  I spent a good portion of Monday soaking in a warm bath.  Some of the softer and more sensitive parts of your body (ahem) just can't stand up to this level of punishment.  Monday's radiation therapy was somewhat dull since I was in some serious discomfort and thus was not my usual jovial self.  I've got to get my mojo back.

It's 1:45am on Tuesday morning.  Plenty of news events to distract me, a good book I'm trying to finish, lots of episodes of The Office to keep me company.  A warm house, cold bottled water, lots of Orbit sweet-mint gum, close proximity to a bathroom and bathtub.  Kids & wife sleeping peacefully upstairs.  What more could a man ask for?

Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day.

1 comment:

  1. love the bible quote, so true. Love to you son-in-law :) oh yeh, prayers too.

    ReplyDelete