Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Diagnosis +20

Awesome!   A doctor that didn't want to stick something up my butt!  I met my new Oncologist today - an awesome guy.   We had a ton of laughs.  Of course, I couldn't help but notice that I was the youngest patient in the waiting room by at least 30 years.  This doesn't really strike me as fundamentally unfair, but I have to say that I was a little pissed off when a blue-haired old lady line-jumped in front of me to schedule her CT.  How do you respond to line-jumping old women?  My initial reaction was "Fuck you, old biddy!  I've got cancer here.  Back of the line!"  But of course I said no such thing and waited patiently while she did whatever it was she was doing.

Bitch-slappin' that mo-fo cancer...
Interesting that Elizabeth & I drew stares from the elderly patients in the waiting room.  Well, Elizabeth draws stares everywhere, but these weren't the lustful envious stares that I'm used to seeing on people when she walks in a room.  These were the "I wonder which one of those youngsters has cancer" sort of stares.

So the course is being laid out in front of us.  The good news of today is that they probably won't install a port before they do the serious surgery.  The chemo drugs are to be taken orally.  The bad news is that I'm to expect extreme discomfort & pain at the ass-end (no pun intended) of the radiation and chemo treatments.  A reference was made to "the Ring of Fire" and to sitting one-cheek-at-a-time.  Looks like sitting on my ass on a 24 hour flight to Australia is out of the question.  But the Oncologist confirms that a nice beach vacation would be just the ticket.  So all y'all relatives in the FLA, look out!  Here we come!  Maybe I can get some sailing in.  The southern circuit of ILCA has the St. Petersburg regatta in March...  Just sayin'


Anyway, the order of the day is scotch, and lots of it!  Tonight I'm cracking open a Glenlivit Nadurra 16 year that my dad got me for Christmas.  Mmmmm!

1 comment:

  1. Laughter is the great healer of all and if I'm not mistaken John Hopkins recently delivered a white paper cheering the amazing medical benefits of 15 year old scotch......

    ReplyDelete