Monday, July 21, 2014

Chemo Surprise!

Today's chemo brought two new symptoms which I didn't have in Round 1.  The first was encountered when I sipped from a Red Bull in the truck on the way home from chemo.  All of a sudden, an intense, tingling pain shot through my jaw bone on both sides of my mouth.  I've since discovered that this pain arrives when I chew something, or drink something sweet after a long pause since the last food or drink (water doesn't bother me).  This is an interesting phenomenon, but not as worrisome as the next.

Secondly, I discovered that if I rub my eyes, my vision when I open my eyes is suddenly restricted to a small circle, kind of like looking through a telescope backwards, which is surrounded by a radial tiger-stripe pattern that fills the rest of my field of view.  It went away after three or four seconds, but it scared the hell out of me and now I'm afraid to rub my eyes.

Other than that, the tingling fingers is the most annoying thing, next to the presence of the chemo pump, which I don't like one bit.  But my attitude is much better on this round of chemo.  The first round took me by surprise and I was deeply depressed and miserable when I left Thompson Cancer Survival Center.  This time around I had fun joking with the nurses and studying Latin, and was in a much better mood (which persists to some extent).  No real nausea yet - just some queasiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment